Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cob Versus Earthship (Round 1)

So for those of you who follow my blogging and life activities, you would know Julie and I are trying to decide on an environmentally friendly housing situation. So far the issue has pretty much entirely revolved around Cob houses. As of late another contender has come into the running again: the Earthship! Perhaps some of my friends and readers have some insight into either of these two building methods. I'm going to make a pro/con list abut the two techniques and I would very much appreciate additions or corrections where warranted.

COB
Pros
- Inexpensive
- Readily available materials (sand, water, straw, clay)
- Sturdy (some have been around for hundreds of years and survived multiple earthquakes)

Cons
- Takes a long time to complete
- May not be suited for a colder climate for insulation

EARTHSHIP
Pros
- Uses mostly reclaimed or reused materials
- Minimal costs
- Well insulated
- Quick to build

Cons
- Seems more costly than Cob
- Some claims of tire off-gassing (most likely untrue but it turned Julie off it for awhile)
- Newer building technique and therefore possible unforeseen complications

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if you went with an earthship home or cob. I recently came into that same problem. Maybe you can help me out? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete